This Photo

I just love this photo. Love it, love it, love it.


My sister-in-law Jess took it last autumn when she and her daughter Lily and my mother-in-law came to visit us in Lexington.

Most of the time in pictures, people (including me) want to look their best- put on makeup, cute clothes, creative poses, smiles and giggles. Of course. We want to capture the best of us.

But this photo, I love. I am wearing NO makeup. I had let my hair air-dry and hadn't touched it that day. I was wearing a baggy, comfy long sleeve t-shirt to cover up post-partum pooch. We just went out on a walk down the lane, and we took a casual picture, and it's my favorite family photo of us yet. I love that Graham is giving us that typical 'no-i-won't-smile' face and that he's wearing a ball shirt. I love Patrick's newborn fist and face and pumpkin hat. I love Behn in flannel. I love that gorgeous, natural background of the fields and mountains. I love that I remember this as a crisp autumn day with the future before us (Behn had just gotten his job offer or was about to get it later that day...I forget...)

It just captures us. It captures those 3 years in Virginia. Oh, why do I still ache for Virginia? It's just in my blood now, and definitely in my boys' blood. Behn would say it's in his blood, too; just tonight he said, 'I miss Lexington.'

I had this photo printed in a 11x14 print and can't wait to frame it and put it on our wall, to remind us of Lexington. It's just so beautiful. I think sometimes, when I'm struggling and it's hard to feel hopeful, it's easier to look back and remember all the ways God has been faithful to us, that He's still being faithful.

He is.

Comments

  1. Love and miss you both. Know Lexington misses you as much as you miss Lexington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa! We miss you too! Hoping to visit in November and we can meet your little one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!