Introvert and Extrovert

Today I took my 2 guys to storytime at the library. I haven't done this in a while because we were in a phase of a squirmy Patrick and a not-so-social Graham. Plus, the last time we went (in May), the reading room was packed which made everything even harder. We took the summer off.

Today I told Graham what we were going to do and he didn't resist. I mean, he also didn't show even a glimmer of excitement, but that's ok. I know my boy.

It's just so funny to see how different our two sons are. Graham's always been quite serious and often shy (unless he's around someone he's very comfortable with). He was a late smiler, dislikes having his picture taken, and can get upset in large groups. When he was 1 year old and he would see a stranger/someone he didn't know well, he would crumple to the floor. This happened every time we went to church, for months. It doesn't bug Behn or I at all. Graham is an introvert and we love him just as is. Now he can talk and even says, "I'm shy" when he's feeling overwhelmed.

And Patrick. Mr. Smiley. Loves to grin, wave, and flirt. No Stranger Danger, happy to be in groups, happy to go somewhere new, happy to be happy.

So, how does this play out at storytime? Well, Graham sat next to me for a bit, then hid under a chair, then climbed on top of the chair, then ran around in circles. He was on-purpose ignoring the fact that we were doing a group activity. He was protesting in his own little way; and that's ok with me. Frankly, I thought he was acting really appropriately. He didn't scream or cause a scene or whine. He also said a girl was 'nice' and that a baby was 'cute' and didn't yell 'no people!!' until nearly the end of the program. Afterward, I told him I was proud of him because honestly, I think my little introvert did a great job sitting through a 25 minute program he didn't really want to be at. And Patrick loved storytime. He clapped and smiled and bounced during the songs and tried to make friends. I'm glad that Graham is willing to participate in something that isn't his first choice so that his brother can enjoy the activity. Plus, whether either of them know it, it's good for them to be at these things and hear books read and listen to songs.

Just like I love Graham as is, I love Patrick as is. I wouldn't change either one of them! They each have gifts and strengths. They are playing so well together; I think they really complement each other with their unique personalities.

We are loving these boys!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!