A Post for MD

Dear MD,

I'm not sure why I'm thinking of you and praying for you today, but I'm glad I am. You were the first kid I met when I started working at the group home, and for some reason I remembered your name right away. I remember your big brown eyes and smile, and I remember I was suprised to find out you were 8 years old, because you looked older. We weren't supposed to have favorites, but you were always my favorite. I felt attached to you right away. At home I referred to you as "my little MD." I remember how good at basketball you were and how you would get silly. But really, you were an old soul. You said the most profound, heartfelt things sometimes. MD, you made me realize that kids in foster care are great and deserve a wonderful home. Sure, you had your tough moments. Your room was chronically messy. We had to check your shoes everyday to make sure you hadn't 'borrowed' other kids' items and snuck them home for yourself. And when you finally let your walls down and cried, it broke my heart into a thousand pieces because I wanted to scoop you up and hold you and take you home and help heal your heart. But I couldn't because it was a job and I couldn't be your mom. You'd experienced more pain and loss in your 8 years than I had my whole life; than most people ever do. But you were resilient and I think you'll make it.

I heard you were adopted last year by a nice couple who also adopted your friend. So now you have a mom and dad and brother. I heard you wanted the group home staff to come to your court date for your adoption and I was sad I couldn't be there because I lived in Virginia by then and couldn't drive to Delaware on a Tuesday. I hope it was a wonderful day for you!

God used you, MD, to work in my heart. And someday I think He'll bring another kid a lot like you into my life- for good. Praying for you...

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!