Off the Bookshelf

I've obviously been blogging more lately. Taking a Facebook break makes me do that. And I like it.

There have been some dark days here lately. Literally. It's been so cloudy/rainy for weeks! The dark weather seems to affect my mood. I feel like I've been in a battle, a battle between MY will and GOD'S will. A battle of trust, control, loneliness, and learning to give thanks. You know, just some hard-core sanctification. It's not easy, but I know HE will prevail!


I've had more time to read the past few months. I love reading and tend to forget to prioritize it. But not having tv and being a stay-at-home mama gives me a little more time to read.


God is using this book to change me:


It's One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I found her blog awhile ago, it's A Holy Experience.


At first, I didn't like her website. It was, well, too holy. Too reverent. I wanted entertainment! Oh mercy, I was wrong! This woman is so talented at writing and photography. Our lives should be holy, reverent. I am learning, slowly, how to live more like this, more like Him. This book is helping. It's, of course, totally Scripture-based. It's not an easy read, not a touchy-feely book. It challenges broken hearts and tears off old flesh. She speaks of mundane piles of laundry, of loss of children, of boggling anxiety. And she uses Scripture to show how we must give thanks.


That's all I'll say for now about this. Just read it. Here's the link.


When I'm done with One Thousand Gifts, I want to read this:



Grace for the Good Girl by Emily Freeman. I'm hearing great things about it. And Ann reviewed it and loved it, so it should be good.


Next up! Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis.
I learned about Katie's story from the 147 Million Orphans website. By God's grace, Katie started a ministry in Uganda called Amazima. I want to read the story, it should be a good one. Buy it here


Last but not least. I'm in a Hosea Bible study on Tuesday mornings. Hosea, right? Like one of those obscure O.T. prophets. Boring. NOT! It's been an amazing Bible study because it's a wonderful book of sin and redemption. God just LOVES His sinful people, over and over.


My good new friend Jenny (thanks to God for bringing her along to me) is in the Bible study with me and has read this book:

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It's story based off of the book of Hosea. She said she's read it several times and can't put it down once she starts it. So it's on my list for when I'm done with the Bible study. Can't wait!


So, that's what I'm reading. I'm going to go try to make bread now. Maybe I'll make a post about that...


What have you been reading?

Comments

  1. One Thousand Gifts and Redeeming Love are great books. I want to read Grace for the Good Girl and Kisses From Katie, too. They are on my list.
    I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy the other day, and I am doing a Beth Moore study - Breaking Free.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf