How Does My Garden Grow? Part 2

After nearly 2 weeks of dicey weather (either cold, rainy, windy, or SNOWY), it's finally nice out! Today is sunny, a little windy, and in the upper 70's so far. Now it's time to work on my garden.



I thought my friend Ivan, an older retired guy who fixes things around the house for us (or rather, for our landlord) was going to plow up the garden, but I haven't heard from him in a while. I don't want to bug him- he's certainly not obligated to till our garden for us- and I know he's probably enjoying fishing in this weather. So over the weekend Behn and I just got a shovel and started digging. Behn dug up a lot of the grass and I pulled it out of the ground, shook the dirt off of it, and tossed it aside. I tried to break up the big clumps and threw out any rocks I found.

So, one potential problem that I have is my little seedlings haven't been exposed to much sunlight since the weather has been lousy. Unfortunately, some of them have become spindly and are unable to keep themselves up. Grandpa Cathey warned me this might happen. I think most of them are ok, but the sunflowers and beets are the weakest. Maybe if they are in the sunlight a lot now they will recover, but if not I'll just have to buy more seed and try again. I think most of them need to be planted soon. Gotta finish up the garden plot!



^some spindly beets^


This is our little garden gnome:

A minute after I took this picture, he rolled out of this seat and faceplanted onto the grass. Guess I better start buckling him in! Tough guy didn't even cry, just whimpered to let me know he'd fallen and couldn't get up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!