Simple Goals- 2014!

"Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." -Proverbs 19:21

We have had a fun end of the year, wrapping everything up with a trip to our beloved Lexington and then to North Carolina to see my sister and Behn's brother. It was a jolly time and I'm glad we snuck this trip in! I love traveling but I will admit it that it is stinkin' hard with little kids. We are home today and they are both off their rockers being overly tired and off schedule. I'm ready to begin a new year and get everyone settled down again.

I am a goal-oriented person, and I love New Years Resolutions/Goals. A new year, a fresh start, new accomplishments to be had. The Lord has taught me, though, not to be naive enough to make the plans and expect them to work out. So, I write my goals with Proverbs 19:21 in mind. I'm making goals- good, realistic goals, I think- but I know that He, Abba, will make His will known to us. He will direct this year, as He has done for all the years past and will do in all the years present. And we are safe in His hands.

I am also not naive enough to think that this year is going to be oh-so-good! Sure, it can be. I pray that we continue to enjoy good health and Behn's job and that the kids will grow and learn. I hope for joy and contentment and that our families will be safe. But I know enough of hardship in the world to know that everything can change in an instant. A car accident. A sudden illness. An ultrasound that shows problems (no, not pregnant right now). A fire. Job loss. I actually intentionally follow blogs of people going through really, really hard things because I want to keep a perspective on life. It helps keep my grumbling in check, it causes me to pray for others. It takes my eyes off of myself to to Christ and to others. I don't do this out of pity, but out of love. And I know that any moment, we could be going through something hard. And if we do, we are still safe in God's plan.

Ok, so all that above is the disclaimer. Now for the 2014 goals! I will list them here and expand on them later because this post is getting reallly long and I have a limited window of the wonderful naptime.

1. Serve more.  Go above and beyond and without complaint to bless others with thoughtfulness and generosity.

2. Eat more vegetables. I don't like them much, but as a family we all need to eat more. Especially in the summer when they are in season.

3. Drink more water. Always dehydrated.

4. No throwing out leftovers.

5. Build a fence in the backyard.

6. Garden 200-300 square feet. I want a real harvest of home grown veggies.

7. Adopt a dog.

8. Seriously re-vamp our food budget and stay on target. I have a plan to do this!

I have a few other goals that I'm not sharing because they are insignificant or really significant. Perhaps I'll share them at a later time (if they actually get accomplished!)

I'm going to check in on the goals a few times throughout the year, to measure my progress and keep myself accountable. Cheers to 2014!

Comments

  1. Happy New Year to you and your family! Love this post--such a great reminder to put our hope and trust in HIM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved your posts too! What a beautiful year you've had with E! All of life's always a time to trust, but we feel it more at the beginning year, right? I know I do!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf