Having a Three Year Old, So Far


I heard from many people (or read) that 3 years old is the hardest. The tantrums, the whining. "You think 2 is bad? Wait until he's 3!" was the general impression I had. I realize that every kid is different and everyone's experience is different, so I just kept thinking "ok, I've been warned; we will see."

We're only a month in. I'd say if you could graph Graham's mood and general pleasant-ness, things are looking pretty good. The graph would show an upwards slope of happiness. This past week, however, would show a dip. Maybe it's winter blues. Maybe it's pent-up energy. Maybe is pure boredom. Maybe it's plain ol' sin. Maybe it's a developmental thingy. And it's definitely tired mommy burnout.

The past few days have been rough. I was venting to Behn about it yesterday, when I had to leave Bible study 12 minutes in because my 3 year old was screaming, screaming in the nursery for me to come back to him. Which made Patrick cry. Which made the nursery workers overwhelmed. Out of about 15 kids, mine were the only ones crying. You'd think I had never left them anywhere before, and especially not a torture chamber like a church nursery. I think it especially annoyed me because I was exhausted and truly felt I needed to be in that Bible study. To be away from the kids for 2 hours; praying, forming friendships, being fed. It stunk. And this was the 3rd time this happened. Behn and I have concluded that Graham is just kind of a hard kid sometimes (I guess they all are?).

Today he's been a happy camper. Geez, the emotions of a teenage girl; cranky one day, happy the next. I'll take the happy, though. I'm trying to smile more, look him in the eye, hug him (he doesn't especially love that), giggle at his ridiculous antics, be silly. Even though it's in my tired nature to push him away ('pleeeease, just give mama a break!'), I think what I need to do is pour into him some more. Not to indulge him, but to edify him. Make him know he is loved and important. It's growing me to do this. To put myself 2nd, jump into his pillow pile, to call him a broccoli head (he adores this game of calling each other ridiculous things). All I really want to do is drink coffee undisturbed, but that's just not where I am in life, is it?

Anyway, cute tidbit, to end on a good note. Graham and Patrick were playing just out of my sight. I asked, "Graham, what are you guys doing?" He said, "Playing nicely!" I know it sounds like code for "getting into trouble," but it wasn't. The brothers really were just playing nicely. It was lovely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf