Early Rising

Something happened over the weekend...I turned 30! It was a nice, calm thing to happen and no, I don't "feel" any different- just grateful for my 30 years so far, thankful for my parents, siblings, husband, kids, and friends. It was a sweet, quiet weekend. Behn took a 1/2 day on Friday so we could go get lunch and then he watched the kids so I could get my haircut (long overdue) and then I went out shopping with my mom. Fun day! Saturday night my family came over (including my sister Hannah and her husband Ben) and we had pizza, played a game, and hung out til late in the night. It was a perfect evening.

But this post is not about my birthday, but about something else. Waking up early. You see, I've always been a Morning Person. Don't hate, it's just the way I was made. I've been known to wake up early just to see the sunrise. I love breakfast. The quiet of the mornings is my favorite part of the day. Everything is fresh and new.

A few years ago, I had a baby named Graham and 'waking up early' went out the window. Mr. Graham didn't sleep much at night..for like, a year. And so, I went into survival mode and became a person who sleeps until the very last moment. And then I had a baby named Patrick, who also woke up several times a night for most of a year. Getting up has been hard the past few years, as I never feel fully rested.

I think I'm ready to go back to my old, early-rising ways, though. I miss it. I miss having quiet time with the Lord in the mornings, I miss sipping coffee uninterrupted, I miss the quiet before the busy-ness. I even have this crazy idea that I might get up and workout before the kids get up. (We will see about that!)

I know I can be disciplined enough to go to bed earlier, but there is one hiccup and that is that my kids are also early risers! Ugh, it's hard to beat them in the waking up early, as sometimes they are up at 6:15 and they are always up by 7. I'm going to try, though. I'm going to try. But not for a few more days, because I have a bad head cold and I need some extra rest ;-)

So, that's my resolution as a 30-year-old.

Photo of me, being 30, and Graham, being 3.


Comments

  1. Happy belated birthday!

    I'm with you on being a morning person. Love, love, love so many things about early morning. I'm also trying to get into a groove of waking up earlier so I can have some "me time" before Ellie wakes up. My biggest problem though is not getting to bed early enough. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too! Nice to find a fellow morning person, since most of the people I know are not :)

      Delete
  2. Happy (belated) birthday!
    I am not a morning person, but I work best in the morning, if that makes sense. When I was teaching, I was almost always at school an hour early - because that was better than staying late every afternoon. I miss the productivity/how that felt - accomplishing things before 8 AM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I work best in the mornings, too. My energy is the highest at that time of day.

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday! New haircuts are the best=) Good for you for being a morning person! If I actually manage to get up before my kids it feels great...but rarely happens. Hope you are able to enjoy your mornings again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're pregnant and needing lots of rest; I'm sure if I were pregnant I'd be sleeping as much as possible!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf