How To Buy A Used Car On The Cheap

Well, this is how it worked for us at least:

1. Have Husband research the best deals.  Behn's a great researcher...almost to the point of indecisiveness. He spent a lot of time wisely reading reviews, checking stats, etc. He had 2 cars in mind and I helped him make a final decision (as well as gave him that last nudge to pleeeeease just make a decision and go with it!).

2. Go on a rainy Tuesday when the dealer hasn't made any sales.

3. Pick the cheapest car on the lot (happened to be the car we wanted). They wanted to get that ol' thing away from all the Mercedes and Lexus and BMW's.

4. Don't shower and wear grubby clothes. This was me, not Behn. He'd been at work and looked spiffy. I looked homeless, and as if we were really poor and didn't have hardly any money to spend (true).

5. Bring the baby. Since he's a nursling, Patrick usually goes where I go. We left Toddler with my Dad. The baby attracted lots of attention and gave us the appeal of 'we're just a nice young family trying to buy a 2nd car.'

6. Have Husband utilize his wicked awesome negotiation skills that he learned from NHL negotiations he's been following all these months. Glad all that time reading about hockey came to some use. Little Miss I-Hate-Conflict stayed in the sidelines. Behn did really awesome talking them down; he stood his ground and we got a great deal. I think they made about $37 profit in the end :)

So, yes, we have a 2nd car!! Which means I have some freedom again: to make friends and spend time with new ones, run to the store, take the boys to the nursing home to be a light and joy to the residents, etc. I'm stoked! I want to say a big THANK YOU to my mom, dad, and grandparents who have all given the boys and I rides around town or let me borrow their cars the past 2 1/2 months. You've been such a help and I appreciate it.

Thank You, Lord, for Your provision.

Comments

  1. LOL. You sound just like us except for the fact that we already have a second car.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf