Staying Local

This summer year we are staying local. As I write this, I am aware that tomorrow we are heading to Delaware for the holiday weekend, but even Delaware is fairly local. And later this month, I'm going to Virginia Beach with my mom and sisters for a much needed girls' weekend. This year, we aren't planning on a long road trip or any flying. Behn and I might sneak away to my favorite place in the world- Lexington- in the autumn. That's about it.

This is hard for me. Motherhood, though sweet, is monotonous and lonely. It's in my personality to crave adventure and I adore traveling. To be forced to stay put  is a struggle in contentment for me. And I am grateful for even those little opportunities to enjoy a weekend in a different setting, with different friends and family.

We do live in an area with lots to do! So, that's what we are doing: staying local and finding things to do here. We still have to be conscientious of budget: a day to the city or beach can easily run up a bill after you think of gas, meals, etc. But it's still cheaper to stay local and can be a lot of fun.

Behn spent an evening with Graham at our local minor league team's baseball game. Of course, G was in his element. He even got an autographed baseball, which he's slept with every night since then. I was happy that Behn and Graham got some father-son time.


Last Saturday was gorgeous. We spent the morning at St. Mary's City, exploring the living history and enjoying the pretty grounds.

Old School Bowling:




They loved the ship!

I still have some ideas of other things we can do as a family. There's a really nice garden we've only been to once, with a children's area. And there's also a Marine Museum where the kiddos can learn about our local wildlife.

So, I'm trying to stay very grateful for these days and enjoy where we live. We have so much to be thankful for and always have more than we need.

Comments

  1. Hi! (I tried commenting earlier but my words flew into the WWWebs somewhere so sorry if this is a repeat) BUT I found your blog via Motley Mama and I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your perspective on mothering. I, too, crave adventure and new experiences and motherhood has made me rethink what it means to have adventure. I recently resigned from my job to stay at home with our 18 month old and my husband has started the grueling hours of an intern resident and...it's been tough and constricting. But we are figuring it out!
    Anyway, thanks again for the thoughtful post and I hope your enjoy your more simple summer. I also hope you get to sleep in at least once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for commenting! Yes, this motherhood thing is grueling! Rewarding, so sweet- but tough! Hang in there!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!