In the Garden- Mid-Summer Update

It's mid-summer, so I think it's time for an update on the garden.

It's been a lot of fun. A bunch of work, too, but I really enjoy the work. Behn is a great helper and we both love being out in the yard making it pretty. This year, I'd say the vegetable garden is more of a "hobby garden." It's the best one I have ever had, but it's not really producing enough to impact our groceries. It's fun and we have enjoyed some fresh food, but we're not exactly farmers yet ;-) Still, it's been a lot of work to dig up the dirt and turn it into an area that will grow vegetables and flowers, so I'm proud of us. We have big plans to expand it next year.

Things I've learned:
  • I need more than 4 measly green bean plants if I want a real harvest. I also need to make sure I string them up more efficiently next year.
  • It's a good idea to start new squash plants in June. That way they can replace the ones that will inevitably get eaten by bores and I can have a second squash crop.
  • Start tomatoes earlier. It's the end of July and mine are just now ripening.
  • Masking tape is a great way to remove beetle eggs that have been laid on the leaves/stems on the squash.
  • Shasta daisies need full sun.
  • Allysium is easy to grow and makes a boring area look really pretty.
Some photos:

This was my happy summer squash before the beetles got it:


The perennial bed in front of the garden is ok now but next year I think it will be lovely as it flourishes!


Finally ripening!


This little cantaloupe was discovered while weeding; I did not plant cantaloupe but am thrilled this rooted from our compost.


Side view:

This zucchini is a survivor! It was near death, as the beetles bored into the stem (in the form of grubbs). I carefully peeled away the rotting stem and saw the bores and stabbed them to death- haha! Vengeance is mine! I doubted the plant would live, but it DID and it's making new squash now!


After I pulled out the rotting squash plants (thanks, bores), I planted more lettuce and carrots. It's fun to start new things!

Pretty Allysium, with mums on the left and lemon balm on the right:



The front flower beds have been on my back-burner. It's annoying because the front is what people generally see, but for some reason I've been avoiding it. Last fall I planted a Knockout Rose and this spring I put in some black-eyed susans. We also planted a crape myrtle that my Dad dug up from his yard. It's struggled with the transfer but is sprouting new buds now.  Last weekend I finally added some boxwood shrubs. I think next year we can really make the front look great as everything begins to thrive.

We need to mulch it to give it a clean look, but it's coming together...



There are more details...a butterfly bush next to the newly improved deck...a small maple tree that we planted that's thriving...a hydrangea that looks great but has not bloomed this year (wrong location?)...tall, healthy purple asters about to bloom...pumpkins a growin' and SUNFLOWERS! I love it all. Gardening is in my blood.


Comments

  1. Marigolds are listed as an annual but will re-seed themselves if given some help. Very colorful and may also be an insect repellant. Although I do not know if it would get rid of the bugs you have. They do attract honey bees (good!) and wasps (not good). You do have a green thumb, I believe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so beautiful! I love gardening even though I'm not so hot at it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!