Funny Face

This is the face Graham made when I told him to eat his strawberries. He usually loves them, but we've had a lot of them lately, so I think he's tired of them.


Graham does something Behn and I call 'deflection.' He deflects/distracts us when he doesn't want to comply.

Example: "Graham, eat your strawberries."
Graham makes a funny face in hopes that I'll laugh and forget about the demand I just placed.

Example: "Graham, pick up that toy you just threw; you don't throw toys."
Graham begins showing off all the words he can say or babbling in hopes that I'll praise him for his verbal skills and forget that I told him to pick up a toy.

Manipulation? I think yes!


What Graham is up to these days (at nearly 18 months):


  • Playing with toy cars, his own original motor sound included
  • Will run when you say 'run!' Head down, arms swinging, little legs moving quick!
  • Is finally calling me 'mama' and Behn 'dada'
  • New words: says 'flowers' (zowuhs), 'toes,' balloon' (badoo), 'up,' 'hat' (at-uh). He also says uh-oh and oh no. Lately he hasn't been learning new words so much, just a ton of babbling and mimicking what we say. 
  • Follows instructions when he wants to, such as 'come here,' 'give me a hug/kiss,' 'get that book.'
  • LOVES having his teeth brushed or brushing them himself.
  • Has been eating a little better! Will try more new items. Still generally picky though.
  • Favorite toy continues to be a ball. He adores the basketball hoop we got him. Best investment ever. 
  • Is into body parts. Likes to poke our faces and have us label things for him. He's always showing us his belly button. 
  • Favorite activity: tossing rocks into mud puddles. He could do that ALL.DAY.LONG. 
  • Tantrums are now part of the scene! He usually throws a fit when he's frustrated or I take something away. He gets frustrated over things like trying to put a lid on a pen (which he shouldn't be playing with anyway) or not being able to fit a shape into his shape sorter. He does the full-on plop to the floor, screaming action kind of tantrum. Usually it's short-lived, but I'm trying different ways to talk to him and discipline him while he's upset. 
Yesterday I took him to Boxerwood Garden for a playdate. It's been raining on and off all week, so I knew it would be muddy. I went ahead and let him do his thang though, I like him to get dirty and have fun. He found a GIANT mud puddle in the mud pit (yes, this park has a mud pit called 'Dig Your Way to China.' This park is awesome). He quickly slipped into it and was immersed by mud! But he was having fun! I wish I'd had my camera. He ended up going home stark naked- not even a diaper! (I had a spare diaper to put on him, but it was storming so I just put a towel on his carseat, tossed him in, and booked it home for the bathtub.)

So, that's my Graham-Boy update!!  

Comments

  1. He seems extra smart with his distraction techniques. That is awesome that he loves brushing his teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's smart, that's for sure and that little heart is going to need some shepherding, just like everyone else's :) And I LOVE that he's great about brushing his teeth!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf