On Being "Boring" And Giving Thanks

It had been a long day. I had worked hard to keep the kids engaged- books, games, a walk, playing outside. I was tired from the heat, interrupted nights of sleep, and just the general maintenance of my home and children. I stood at the kitchen sink cleaning up dinner, a dinner that I'd made from scratch and then eaten in segments, interrupted by everyone's needs and a baby feeding session.

"Mom," Graham asked, "will you play ball with me?"

"No, my hands are busy. And I'm tired. I'm just about done for the day." I answered, a little bluntly.

"Aw, you're boring!" he whined.

I couldn't believe it. What in the world?? Didn't he consider all that I'd done, all that I do every day? I was anything but boring. Why was he so ungrateful? I turned to snap at him. And then, the Spirit pricked my heart.

How many countless times am I complaining, asking for MORE, and ungrateful to my heavenly Father? Every day. Every moment, every breath, is a gift. Every meal, every night of rest (even if the rest is broken up), every time I walk freely in the sun, every day I spend with these kids and my husband. Countless gifts. And yet, I forget so easily. I groan about this and that, wish I were here or there.

I want to raise godly and grateful children in the Lord. This work of motherhood is such a sanctification, as I have to examine my own heart constantly. To lead by example, to pray faithfully, to love well, to give thanks in all things. I need Him every hour.

This time, I brushed off my child's immature response. We will keep practicing gratitude together. He needs grace, just like me.

"Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD for he is good; his love endures forever." -Psalm 106:1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf