All The Feelings

I posted this picture on facebook the other day:


A long-time friend said it looked "just right." As in, me with 3 kids was a good fit. I take that as a huge compliment. And the good news is, I feel the same. As I was walking down the street with the 3 boys a few days ago, I thought, 'This is my gang. It's the perfect little group.' I don't mean that there can't be room for more, but right now, this feels right.

I'm relieved to be feeling this way. I don't bond with my kids very well in pregnancy. Sure, I'm excited. I like the kicks (until they hurt). But pregnancy, as beautiful and miraculous as it is, isn't my favorite. I don't talk to my babies in utero, I don't sing or read to them. I don't even really think about what they'll look like. But the minute they're in my arms, I feel all the feelings. With this baby, I had some nerves. G and P are a ton of work...I was kind of scared how we'd make it work with a new baby. I talked to my midwife about prenatal depression, post partum depression (which I've never had), just in case.  It's only been 3 1/2 weeks, but everything seems to be fitting in place. I just love him so much. I even feel like I love the other 2 more.

If there's ever a feelings rollercoaster, though, it's gotta be right after having a baby. Hormones all over the place. I'm so tired, and with so little room for rest. We are on the go. It's just life. I feel so in love with my husband and kids- and then so sad for others suffering. My heart is burdened by loved ones going through struggles and suffering. I feel so happy planning our summer with 3 kids- and at the same time missing the short years Behn and I had before children. I feel so alone- and then so close to the Lord. All the feelings.

But we have Christ as our sure foundation.

"According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ." -I Corinthians 3:10-11

And so, I pray. I thank God for this sweet time. I ask for wisdom and patience when I lose my temper (multiple times a day, often with the same child). I pray for hurting hearts. I thank God we have the money we need to pay our bills. I pray that we become more generous. I pray that my heart will be softened and gentle and slow to anger. I pray to build on the foundation of Jesus Christ,

Comments

  1. AAAAAH! Your family is so beautiful and you are truly glowing in the pic you posted. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf