So...Preschool

It's not a big deal, really. I mean, it is to me, and to Behn, and to Graham, of course, but not really a big deal to anyone else.

After a really, really hard fall with a lot of behavioral challenges and pure boredom at home, we decided to put Graham in PreK-3 a few afternoons a week at the beginning of the month.

He loves it. (I love it, too).

To the average family, this is normal. No big deal. Most people choose to have their kids in preschoool. These days, most people start their kids in PreK-3, or even PreK-2. I was pretty firmly in the "but not us" camp.

Funny how one makes plans. Funny how one has ideas about the way it's going to be.

It's a little church preschool about 15 minutes away. The class is small and mostly boys. It's only 3 short afternoons a week, but he's in a structured environment and learning things like waiting his turn. They sing songs and work on a few sight words and have circle time and run around outside. My boy craves structure and knowing what to expect and he's thriving. He barely cried the first day and hasn't fussed since then. We both needed this.

It's a sacrifice financially. He will be there through May, then we will take the next year when it comes. A part of my heart wants him here, with me. I want to teach him what I want to teach him. But that's the beauty of it all- he gets to learn things at school and I can still teach him what I want to at home because he's still with me 90% of the time. I have theories on learning and that kids shouldn't be stuck at desks all day. But as I am learning, a lot of my theories and expectations are going out the window.  Maybe if I can find a solid group of homeschooling moms that are nearby (everyone seems to be 30-40 minutes away). We will just have to see where God leads us in the next few years. Each kid is different and each year will probably look different. Right now, this is good.

(As you can see, I have had a really hard time processing all of this. Ha!)

Cheers to preschool!



T-ball signups are tomorrow, too. He's growing up!

Comments

  1. Oh, I totally understand this! We just decided the other night that we need to get Ellie into something next fall...it is clear that she would love and thrive in some sort of preschool setting. Outside of the home. Glad to hear it's going well for your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! Yes, it is such a good outlet for him. I bet Ellie will love it!

      Delete
  2. That is so awesome that you found this great fit for you! I've been thinking about how all my kids are different and how I have be open to parenting them and teaching them differently. For me I am much more open to the idea of sending my second to a program then my first just because of personality differences. Great for you! ~ Laura R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, mine are so different! G craves structure and stimulation. Patrick is more laid-back and can amuse himself more independently. We will have to take each year as it comes. I hope you and your family are well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Bookshelf

Job loss and bending the knee

Patrick Wilford is Here!