Garden and Yard Goals 2015

I was inspired by this post from The Elliott Homestead to write out my garden goals. After all, what else is there to do in January?

Last year I had to start from scratch. The "garden" was just a spot of crab grass in our hilly yard. Behn and I dug it up, added some compost, garden soil, and eventually, a fence around the garden area. I planted a simple and small garden of squash, tomatoes, a few herbs, cucumbers, peppers, and some perennial flowers. It went pretty well. There were beetles. And weeds. And the soil is still quite poor, but stuff did grow and I enjoyed my project.

The garden area is plotted out much better this year, and I plan on tripling the vegetable garden. I learned a lot last year; when to plant, where to plant, how to treat the plants. I hope to add some nice stepping stones and some pretty touches, and on planning my plot out more carefully. I hope to add many potted herbs in little spots around the property. I have mentally plotted where I'd like to plant more flowers. I guess, in short, I'm just in that happy dreaming phase :) It's easy to dream it all out on cold and dreary days.

I want to involve the kids more. They will be 4 and 2- a little easier than 3 and 1, right? Graham showed interest last year, but this year I asked him if he'd like a little spot to call his own and he said, 'yes!' Since the boys are both (slowly) gaining autonomy, I'm hoping I'll have more freedom to work in the yard without them running down the hill into the road or having needs to be attended to constantly. Gardening, like anything, is difficult with young children. Behn also really enjoys helping and being a part of the garden and yard. It's really a family effort.

As far as what to plant, I haven't decided yet. The basic veggies, of course, and maybe a few different more than last year. But I'm more interested in doing well and having a good yield of what we enjoy than to be too adventurous and fail. I hope to freeze and can this year, especially lovely tomatoes!

We hope to try raising hens this year. We need make a little coup and wire in an area (as well as complete the fencing of our entire yard so they can roam our property at times). I hope for healthy, free-range chickens and their eggs! I have a lot to learn, but many resources in friends and family.

I think that's about it. We have some perennials and a few trees that we planted last year, and I'm excited to see if they make it through the winter. I hope that we begin to slowly inch toward a greener and more sufficient lifestyle, as well as teach our children about caring for the earth and praising the Creator for His excellent creativity and beauty.


Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!