Why I Haven't Minded (too much) The Long Winter

It's been a long and cold winter. Heck, it's spring now and it snowed all day yesterday and last night. Everyone is complaining, including me. I want it to be warm, too. I'm tired of boots and sweaters and coats. So are the kids. We are over it.

But in a way, the winter hasn't bugged me too much, and still isn't bugging me.

Here's why. First of all, snow is still pretty. I was driving home in the snow showers last night, and the big, fluffy, swirly flakes were pretty. They are still delicate and fresh. Sure, I wish they'd visited us more in December and less in March, but I still think it's pretty. But the real reason I don't mind the cold weather is because it's kind of been keeping us indoors. I know, I'm Little Miss Outdoorsy, right? Yes, I love to be outside. I like to take the kids to the park and on walks. But we are in a not-great stage right now where they both just take off. They basically have unlimited energy and so going outside with them is a marathon event. If we're in the (still unfenced) yard, one of them bolts down the street. If we're up on the back hill, one of them wanders to the empty house next door and starts touching the electric box. Obviously I don't just ignore their behavior; going outside means a constant instruction, discipline, tons of chasing, and lots of explaining about cars running over children.  The park is almost as bad; Patrick runs to the pond while Graham heads down a trail. It's honestly stressful, and definitely exhausting. In fact, over the weekend we went to the flea market and my father-in-law bought a dog leash and buckled it onto Graham's jeans. Graham loved feeling 'connected' to Grandpop and I loved that Graham wasn't going to get stolen and sold to gypsies.

I don't mean to complain; I'm hopeful that the boys will learn to listen better and that the yard will be fenced and that we'll have a great summer enjoying our yard.

But for now, I'm content to claim it's too cold outside (it is), lounge around in yoga pants, and watch Up again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf