The House With The Blue Door

This house has no color. I liked the fresh, bright, white walls when we moved in, and painting seemed too overwhelming (and still does feel overwhelming). But as the summer has gone on, I've been feeling the itch to paint some rooms. I decided to start with something easy: the front door.

Here's the house when we bought it. As you can see, the door is off-white.



I was pretty set on blue. I looked up some ideas and went to the paint store and found what I felt would be a calm, blue with a hint of green. It was called "Atlantic Blue," and looked pretty on the paint chip.

Oh, to be deceived! Or, to just make a bad choice. Poor Atlantic Blue was much more "Caribbean Blue." Or iPhone case blue. Or birthday cake icing blue. Turquoise necklace blue. Not what I was going for.

Ooops!!


I tried to be content with it. I gave it a day. Behn said it added "character." It was suggested maybe it just needed a 2nd coat to make it darker. I wasn't convinced. I wanted it gone, and fast. (I hate to waste- it is an ok color, and looks nicer when the sun isn't shining on it. Maybe it will be an accent wall in Graham's room.)

I went back out to the paint store and settled on a much safer "Newport Gray" (navy) blue. Ah, yes. This was what I wanted. Needs another coat, but a huge improvement already!

Thank goodness for better paint.

I love you, Newport Gray.

And just for fun...my pretty zinnias.

Gosh, I hope I don't have to re-do my work everytime I paint....

Comments

  1. I love that color! Blue and gray are two of my favorites as you can tell by looking at pictures of my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel your dissatisfaction on the first one, even though it is a pretty color, but I am quite a fan of the second one. I love blues in general, but I feel that the second adds a nice accent :)
    Amy
    http://cotteywellnesspath.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope we can use the 1st blue somewhere else. The 2nd blue looks great on the door, I think.

      Delete
  3. Looking great! paint colors can be so difficult.~LR

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf