Review: Appalachia- A History of Mountains and People

One of the nice things about being married to the branch manager of a library is that I have access to lots of books and DVD resources. If there's a book I want, he can get it. If the library doesn't have it, he'll order it for me. When I was pregnant, Behn ordered a DVD of "A Baby Story." Both Behn and I think it's dumb when libraries use public money to purchase mindless blockbuster hits, but there are a lot of educational films out there that would do people good to see.

So when Behn told me that a patron had requested that he order "Appalachia: A History of Mountains and People," I begged him to bring it home to me as soon as the patron returned it. It's a 3-part DVD series produced mostly by the National Science Foundation, with other grant contributors as well. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I admit I have a romantic nostalgia about these mountains. I figured the DVD's would discuss the natural beauty and the hardy mountain culture of the hills, the folklore and bluegrass music, etc.

Here's a synopsis: "Congratulations, White People, on the brutal destruction the Native Americans, the forests, and during the Civil War, each other." It really was sad to watch, but I have a feeling that most (not all) of what was presented was true. White people came, brought disease to the Native Americans and eventually pushed them aside. They killed off native species of buffalo, elk, and mountain lions. They beat each other up during the Civil War. Then they took to the land, raping the hills of their great, ancient forests and, in a final blow, greedily mined the coal out of the mountains. Ouch.

There were good little tidbits: ecologists discussing the significance of the salamander, the biodiversity of the forests. Lots of interesting pictures from times past. I love old photos, seeing the faces of people who worked hard every day just to survive. There were anecdotes from historians, most of which were sad, but a few triumphant stories. There was lots of footage of these beautiful mountains.

Anyway, I'm glad I watched the videos. I learned some things and it made me appreciate this land even more. I so want Graham to care about people, land and all of creation. I want him to know it's not ok to exploit people or nature. God created these magnificent things for us to love and tend to, and this is a lesson I want him to learn as early as possible.

Edit: Behn just informed me that there's a part 4 that I haven't seen. Maybe it will end more optimistically?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf