What is Love?

It's been quiet on the blog because this month has been: rotten. I'm not kidding. Nothing really bad or tragic has happened, and for that I am grateful. It's the little things that have been adding up to wear me out, almost to a breaking point. I sometimes shudder to think what I would be like if something *really* bad (i.e. an illness, accident, great financial loss) happened since I get so shook up by the daily grind of life. Thank God for His strength and for family helping to get us through the rest of this winter.

Today is Valentine's Day. Not much happens here, especially when I'm in survival mode. I can barely keep up with laundry, meals, and dishes. Forget about heart-shaped pancakes- and actual Valentine's cards? Very funny. Last thing on my long list. Here is the Valentines wreath I started 2 weeks ago. Impressed?


This morning I sat down with Graham for Bible Time. We read from the Jesus Storybook Bible, and today we were at the crucifixion. As we read the story (Graham is getting better at listening to the words), I couldn't help but think how perfect it was to read about True Love on this day. To quote Sally Lloyd-Jones, "It wasn't the nails that kept Jesus there. It was love."

We moved onto the devotional from Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing. The devotional is not dated (as in, it's not assigned that we read this devotion on this particular day of February 14th. It's just there.)  I opened to where our bookmark fell- and there it was: perfect for today. Today's devotion was titled "Love." Sally Lloyd-Jones again:

"What is love? Is it a feeling in your heart?

The Bible says Love is much more: it is patient and kind, never bears a grudge, doesn't demand it's own way, always wants the best for someone else, never puts itself first, never gets jealous, isn't proud, doesn't boast, isn't rude, always hopes, never stops.

Oh dear, that's quite a list. Who can love like that?

Only one.

He left his father and his throne and came to live with us. And showed us what love was really like.

Because, you see, Love isn't mostly a list.

It's a Person."

And so, that is my encouragement to myself- and to you- today, this Valentine's Day 2014.

Comments

  1. I love "Thoughts to make your heart sing". Thanks for sharing and I totally understand, you know things are hard when showering and eating sometimes feel luxurious...

    P.S. I think Graham is looking more and more like you, just saw your instavid :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf