Bean Tostadas

Hey all! So, here's a recipe that I made up this week- it was really good and I want to make it again soon. We really enjoyed these vegetarian bean tostadas; they aren't exactly calorie free, but there's worse things you can eat.

Here's what you will need:

  • tortillas (I used flour, but you could use corn)
  • vegetable oil
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilis (I used RoTel)
  • 4 oz. of cream cheese
  • 2 cups of cheddar cheese (roughly...I mean, I didn't actually measure this)
  • 1/2 packet of taco seasoning
  • anything else you want to add- I added chopped black olives. You could add onion, peppers, or other vegetables, too!
1. Dump the can of rinsed beans, can of tomatoes, cream cheese, and taco seasoning into a saucepan over low-medium heat. Just go ahead and let that mess simmer for 20 minutes. Then, take it off the heat and set it aside; it will thicken at this point.

2. While the pot of beans is simmering, heat a pan with the oil and start frying up those tortillas. Just fry them a minute or so on each side. You don't want them to get crispy. Set them each aside on some paper towels to absorb the excess oil.

3. Start filling the middle of the tortillas with some of the bean-tomato mix. Toss some cheese on the mixture, and anything else you want to add (olives, for me). Then wrap those suckers up and lay them on an aluminum-covered tray, seam side down.

4. Put the tostadas in the pre-heated oven (350 degrees) for about 15 minutes. Maybe 20 minutes, I kind of forget. Until the tops of the tostadas are browning a bit and everything looks all melty. Take them out, let them cool for a minute, and then top with fun stuff- guacamole, salsa, sour cream- whatever floats your boat!

Enjoy!

Sorry for the shoddy picture, but this isn't a cooking blog. Who do you think I am, Pioneer Woman? :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf