My Favorite Thing About Our Neighborhood

I love our new neighborhood. God chose well for us! It's quite a working-class neighborhood. There are lots of HVAC and Electrician vans and trucks parked in the driveways at night. It's a quiet neighborhood, and feels safe. Most of the houses are small or medium sized, and neatly cared for. There are lots of dogs and school-aged children, though I haven't seen many young families like ours. There's no HOA, and therefore no frills like a community pool or park; that's ok, though, because we have something better than that- a trail in the woods!

What a gift to have nature so nearby. At the end of our road is the entrance to the trail.


We walk there several times a week to explore and enjoy creation. I've been teaching Graham about the beauty around him; he can identify moss, fern, and holly. We've picked up many a toad and observed turtles scooting along.




There's a sweet little creek- every neighborhood needs a little creek. This brook flows into the creek:


Right now, Graham's favorite thing to do in the woods is gather sticks for a potential fire- he's a pyro! I'm not sure other people love that he piles sticks in the middle of the trail, but I think it's ok. Total boy thing to do!


And my favorite thing to do is run in the woods. I've run on the trail about 1/2 mile and then it starts to get overgrown; however there are little side trails to yet explore. There's just something so serene and beautiful about trees and lush plants; that earthy smell and birds tweeting from high above...




I hope someday the boys explore the woods, build forts, play with wildlife. I hope they grow and learn and create memories back here. Glad to have this special place right in our own backyard!


Comments

  1. I played in the woods pretty much every day growing up. What a beautiful childhood!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!