Amish Market

We are so blessed to live a few miles from the largest Amish community in Maryland. I have always been fascinated by the Amish. *nerd alert* It must be the Laura Ingalls in me; when I was a kid I longed for horses and buggies and the stories of Laura Ingalls; I wished we could still live that way. It seemed simpler and more wholesome. I would buy postcards of Amish buggies when we visited Lancaster and tape them to my wall. Yes, I was weird, but it kept me innocent and sweet for a long time.

Anyway, now we see buggies frequently and we have the privilege of buying lots of Amish produce. The Amish farm stands are in front of the library and are open Mon-Sat; never on Sunday, of course, because the Amish still honor the Lord's Day. I didn't take a very good picture because I want to respect their privacy.


I've been buying flowers and herbs and eggs and butter and fruit and baked goods. The Amish grow outstanding flowers! And the butter, homemade, of course...sooooo good!


I usually chat with them a little bit; I love the accents and just being friendly. After all, they are my neighbors. Plus, I'm still really interested in their culture. I just put several books and a documentary about the Amish on hold at the library- I want to learn more.

Anyway, these are the little things that are adding up to making me like it here! Southern Maryland, you're beginning to win me over....

Comments

  1. I loved living near some Amish communities when we were in Ohio. Such a fascinating culture. They are way cheesy, but Beverly Lewis writes some interesting novels based on the Amish.

    Jealous that you get to buy food from them, I bet it tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the Amish table at our local farmer's market. Their donuts are to die for. Sadly, though, none of their booths sell dairy products, I would love to try their butter. How much do you pay for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Their stuff is seriously the best. I don't remember how much I paid for butter, but I can't wait to go get more. They just opened for spring last weekend. They can't sell milk because somehow, for some insane reason, that is illegal.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!