Does My Garden Grow?

Last year I posted the progress of my very first garden. I won't do that in so much detail again this year, but here's an update:

Today I finally went outside and planted some of the seedlings I've grown. The past few weeks I've half-heartedly had things growing in trays. If the weather was nice and I had a few minutes, I weeded my old garden spots. I've had much less enthusiasm this year, for a number of reasons. The novelty of the first garden has worn off; I'm tired and pregnant; Graham and Frankie can't be tied to a baby bouncer to sit and quietly watch me tend to the garden anymore. In fact, I'm so tired from chasing them all day, the idea of a garden seems a little overwhelming. But the real reason I haven't wanted to garden is because I'm tired of being a nomad and wondering if I'm planting all this for a stranger. We never seem to know if/when we're moving. Will Behn get a new job? If not, should we move to a smaller, cheaper rental anyway? I am really starting to get that itch to own our own place; to be settled and know that if I plant a garden I'll enjoy it for years. This dream seems a lifetime away...God has His plans for us, but so far home ownership doesn't seem to be on the horizon. Who knows, though, God can make all things possible! But that still doesn't change the fact that I may never see the fruit of the crop in this garden. At least if I plant it, someone will enjoy it :)

But today was fun! I planted the flowers I've been growing, as well as some seeds. I planted sunflowers, blue enchantments, zinnias, and sweet peas. And the salvia that Aunt Jeanne gave me last year made it through the winter and is doing well. It should bloom soon. The peony bush and the hydrangea bush (I didn't plant them) are doing well, and the golden rods are back, though they won't bloom until late summer.

I'm more excited about flowers than veggies this year! It's not as practical, but I love flowers and making the landscape lovely. I get the flower green thumb from both sides of the family. Grandpa Cathey loves to plant all things, and Aunt Jeanne has a beautiful flower garden. Dad always makes his front yard look pretty, and Mom appreciates the beauty of flowers. I have fond childhood memories of admiring Grandma Bixler's well-tended flower gardens as well. Flower gardens just run in my blood :)

I also have tomato, basil, cilantro, pumpkin, peppers (thanks to a friend who shared her seedlings), carrots, and lettuce. We'll see how much grows to maturity. Those items are all still in the trays but I need to plant them asap. I didn't today just because I ran out of energy. This week it will happen though! My oregano came back again, as did some chives my dad shared with me last fall.

So, there it is. I am gardening again, and I hope my enthusiasm grows along with my plants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf