Romantic?

Question, since it's Valentine's Day:

What do you consider "romantic?"

I did not marry a romantic guy, at least not in the typical ways that people tend to think of being romantic. Not that he's never romantic, but it's not really his thing. He's sweet, selfless, and so good to me. And so, my ideas about romance have changed. Behn doesn't suprise me with getaways, make me fancy dinners, light candles, and has never written me a poem. But he does bring home flowers sometimes. He always brings me coffee in bed in the morning. He takes out the trash. He does the taxes; actually he does all of our financial stuff. He keeps our cars serviced and running. He is in grad school, working hard to provide for his family. He hugs me and makes me feel secure. He serves me in so many ways, and now I consider that to be romantic. On our first year dating when Valentine's Day came around, we both decided to stay in, get Chinese food, and watch a movie. And that's what we've been doing on V-Day's since then. I like it :) I'm not cynical towards those who choose to be "romantic" and celebrate Valentine's Day, I think everyone should celebrate it how they want to.

So...what are you Valentines Day plans, and what do you consider to be "romantic?"

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this post. Around here taking out the trash is very romantic. Vday for us has been renamed chocolate day. It has been our thing for several years to get godiva chocolate at 75% off after Christmas, and then we save it for vday. We share one piece a day which makes the fun last for a month. I also enjoy making chocolate covered strawberries.

    In general I think all holidays are overly commercialized. Vday seems excessively so. It is as if women are to gauge how much they are loved by how much their men spend on them. So trivial.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf