Summer Updates

Summertime...you are lovely and tiring and warm. Yesterday was the first official day of summer, but it's been warm and the kids have been out of school for a month now, so it feels familiar at this point. Today the air is humid and the sky looks like it might host one of those wonderful summer thunderstorms. I took the 3 boys for a walk in the woods this morning and it was perfect: that earthy woods smell was strong and we all breathed it all in. And then we got eaten by mosquitoes.

The sun has been going down late and up early with the summer solstice and so the kids seem to go to bed later and wake up too early. That, on top of their relentless energy, million demands (not that every demand is always met), and a baby that is up at night nursing, is why my blog has been quiet. Writing is hard right now, as is showering, exercising, and sometimes eating. I do tend to prioritize eating though. Basically any alone time I have is very limited and I'm stretched thin.

What have we been up to? Well, I'm plugging away with "Trader Preschool." We skip days when we are too busy or cranky, but most days we at least do Bible time, circle time, books, and maybe workbooks. We've also done a few crafts (I still dislike crafts). Overall, it's a good routine.

Space Week:

The turtles were actually a fun craft we all enjoyed:


I've also signed Graham up for Vacation Bible School at a few churches. His first night was last night and he loved it. I think he's starving for socialization. I don't blame him- I am, too. Summertime can feel lonely.

The garden is up and going! The snap peas are ripe now, the vines (cucumbers and cantaloupe) are blooming, tons of tomato plants are gaining tiny tomatoes, and my herbs are thriving. My peppers need a boost (epsom salt?). Still hoping for raspberries and I also started some pumpkin seeds yesterday. My favorites, though, are the flowers. Lots of perennials are in full glory- daisies, black eyed susans, cone flowers, salvia, roses, lilies and wildflowers. Zinnias and cosmos should be blooming soon. My hydrangeas took a hit with the late frost and I don't know if they will bloom this year. I love my gardens, even though I spend hours a week weeding and watering.


The baby. Oh, Samuel. He is just what we all needed in our family. We are head over heels for the little guy, and he receives constant affection. He is very easy going, which is great. I've been pretty relaxed with him- I'm not too into schedules and have been feeding on demand for the most part. He's been a good sleeper and even had a 9 p.m.- 4:30 a.m. stretch the other night. Of course, that's only happened a few times, usually he's up twice and you know what? I like it. I mean, of course I want a good night's sleep, but he's so little and precious and this is a privilege. And I can see this so much more clearly with the third baby and I'm a little older now.  I'm in love.


2 months old and 11 lbs






Behn and I have been married 8 years now (today!). We celebrated on Saturday by dropping the big boys off with my parents and enjoying a daytime date: lunch, a walk on Solomon's Island (beautiful!), and Aldi (because we're parents and getting groceries without 3 and 5 year olds is great).  My assessment of 8 years of marriage is that we are established. We know how to run the home, make each other laugh, how to spend or not spend money, what dreams the other has. Marriage feels comfortable and safe, like a warm blanket. Some days we are so weary from the work of life but I thank God that He matched us. Behn is a great friend, husband, father, and man of God.


So, that's what's up right now. Honestly, some days are hard. I don't want to paint a perfect picture. But God is faithful, we see it every day. We sin- he forgives. We cry for help- He sends. We have needs- He fills them. Thankful.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!