I'm Glad

I've been thinking much about Grandpa. When we got the call that he had unexpectedly passed away, we were in the beginning of our host month and getting through the challenges that came with that. Thankfully, our great host organization sent a chaperone to come be with V for the weekend of the funeral so we could participate in everything. I'm so glad we could focus on that day with family, saying goodbye.

I'm glad that years ago, my grandparents moved to be near us as we grew up. I'm glad that when I graduated from college, I lived with them for a year.

I'm glad that the past 2+ years we have lived near Grandma and Grandpa and been able to spend time with them. I'm especially glad that the boys knew their GP.







I'm glad we named Patrick Wilford after Grandpa (Wilford was his first name).



I'm glad I shared my love of gardening with Grandpa. He always shared tips and had good advice.

I'm glad I asked Grandpa to share stories with me, about his life. One story more recently was when he noted the holes in Graham's jeans and laughed remembering how he would always patch his jeans. He was hard on his clothes, living on a farm and spending playtime fishing and playing in the dirt, but it was a sign on poverty to have holes so he would always be sure to have them stitched up.

I'm glad my grandparents had a long, sacrificial, and loving marriage.



I'm glad I made sure to celebrate his last birthday on earth with him. I think I came a few days after his birthday, but I made cinnamon bread and brought over a home video of his 60th birthday that I had come across. It was fun sharing that with him.

I'm especially glad for Grandpa's faith in Christ. I'm can remember an Easter in the past few years when he prayed for the meal, and choked up as he thanked God for the gift of Jesus. I pray that my faith and my children's faith grows as strong as his was.

I'll have to go through my old photos and look for one with Grandpa and I. Would be a treasure.

We sure do miss him.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf