Our Christmas 2014

Whew. End of December.

Behn and I were talking on Christmas Day, on our drive home from my parents. "It doesn't feel like Christmas," he said. "It doesn't feel bad; it was a really nice day. But it doesn't feel like Christmas."

I had to agree. To tired parents, it doesn't "feel" like Christmas, perhaps. Just like when parents are tired and worn thin, we don't always "feel" like this parenting gig is much fun.

Just today, my sisters-in-law and I were talking about expectations. Years ago, I expected  Christmas to mean beautiful devotionals, savoring every Christmas hymn, and worshiping with my whole heart in the Lessons and Carols and Christmas Eve Service. I expected to anticipate glitter and gifts, and maybe a flutter of romance and possibility. I expected good meals and sleeping in and lounging around with family.

 Christmas looks so different now. Not worse, just different. Traditions are wonderful and important, but they will change a little bit. Some examples of my too-high expectations:

  • I barely got though a couple of Ann Voskamp's devotionals this month.
  • We didn't make it to Christmas Eve service. I was a little sad, but it was the right decision.
  • I did make a Christmas Eve dinner (new tradition?) but the kids were exhausted. It lasted about 12 minutes. Thank goodness for microwaves.
  • We did put up a tree, but the tree-buying process was stressful and the tree never looked great. Poor tree totally took a beating a few times. I'm ready to take it down now.
  • Making Christmas cookies didn't happen.
Some things that were lovely:


  • (early!) Christmas morning chocolate chip pancakes.
  • Hanging out with a bunch of my family; a plethera of doting aunts, uncles, a couple of cousins, and the grandparents and great-grandparents. It was for sure, a highlight. I love our big family. My kids are totally spoiled. And my mom does a great job maintaining tradition and beauty in this holiday.
  • Christmas night appetizer party with my siblings and their significant others at our house. It was SO fun- we talked and laughed and played games.
And of course, the one thing, the One Person who makes Christmas- Jesus Christ- well, He never changes. And He knows our struggles and expectations and disappointments. He knows our sin and loves us anyway. He even came to this weary world for us. Amazing.  Rejoice!

Pictures~

Christmas pj's from Grandmom and Grandpop T:


Attempt at Christmas Eve dinner:


They each got a few gifts from us. Which they opened in the dark from approximately 6:50- 7:00 a.m.


I wish I had taken a picture of our actual family! But Shane the dog was visiting and the boys were thrilled.


The T-4 :)

Playing games with my brothers and sisters. No kids.  Best time ever.


Comments

  1. Megan,

    I love reading your blog posts. You are "real"....and I appreciate that about you :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf