Rice and Beans With Cool, Spicy Dressing

We decided not to buy meat this month, trying to save a little extra money on the ol' grocery bill. So far it's really made a difference and if I think about it, it's not because I'm just not buying meat, it's because I'm also not buying extra ingredients that I use to make meat dishes.

My mom asked me what we've been eating. My answer:

"Rice and beans, rice and beans, pasta, salad, rice and beans. And cereal."

It's been a little boring at times.

Then I made a great dressing for a salad and thought, "This would be awesome over some rice and black beans!"

So this recipe was born. Try it. Enjoy!



You will need:

Rice
Black beans
Any other veggies you want to add (red peppers, green onions, etc)

Dressing:

6 oz. plain yogurt (can be Greek...doesn't have to be)
1/3 cup minced cilantro
2T mayonnaise
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon cumin
1 T lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar


1.First of all, cook your rice and beans ahead of time. We've been buying dry beans (cheaper) so I have to remember to get them cooking waaaaay before I want to eat them. In any case, can or dry beans, get those suckers simmering on low heat. Season to taste. I sprinkled some salt, pepper, and taco seasoning in. You don't have to, though, because the dressing you're going to make is the flavor in this meal. Also get your rice cooked up. After the rice and beans are done, take them off the heat. I'd even refrigerate them. This isn't a meal you really want to enjoy piping hot, especially during a whacky heat wave.

2. Now put together the dressing. Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl until smooth.

Pre-whisk

Post-whisk


3. Pretty self explanatory. Get your rice and beans out of the fridge, top with plenty of dressing (don't be shy; rice and beans need dressing or they are boring). Enjoy your cheap and healthyish meal!

You could really do a lot to tweak this. You could add more vegetables, add less spice, more spice. Make it your own.

Original salad dressing recipe found here, but I did change it a little bit.

Comments

  1. Looks yummy. I'll have to try it. If you are getting tired of rice and beans, here are a few meatless recipes that we enjoy:
    http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/zucchini-tomato-and-egg-tart/
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/summer_vegetable_crepes.html
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/make-ahead-vegetarian-moroccan-stew/detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow great recipes! Thanks for sharing! I AM sick of R + B!

      Delete
  2. This sounds yummy! We might have it tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf