Off The Bookshelf

I have been reading more lately, and really enjoying it! Here are some of the books I've read or are reading:


See that mom on the cover? That's me! Ok, it's not, but it could be. This book was given to me by my sweet mother-in-law, on a recommendation of my sister-in-law who was reading it. Moms, especially of those with young children, read this book. Just do it. It was like a tall glass of water on my parched soul. So many of the chapters addressed issues I struggle with- issues most moms of young children struggle with. I loved it, and want to go back and highlight encouraging passages. I really recommend it.


I finally read Redeeming Love. I meant to read it a couple of years ago when I was in a Hosea Bible study (since the book is loosely written about the story of Hosea/his wife and God/Israel), but didn't get my hands on it until I saw it at my Grandma's house. It was a good novel- it had some sad and dark places- but that's the reality of sin. It does redeem itself though, as the main character- a  former prostitute- slowly lets herself be loved by her husband and then by her Heavenly Father.


Loved The Help. Yes, I know it was 'in' like 3 years ago. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. I seriously can't believe that 20 years before I was born, grocery stores, libraries, bathrooms, etc were still segregated. That is wild.


I am loving this biography by Abby Johnson. Abby was a Planned Parenthood director until she witnessed an ultrasound-led abortion. Then she walked out the door and joined the Pro-Life movement. Behn and I were blessed to attend our area pregnancy center's benefit last year and Shawn Carney (40 Days for Life) was the speaker; he was an integral part of Abby's joining the Coalition for Life, and it's been cool to read about this story after hearing him speak about it. It just solidifies my pro-life stance even more, but also gets me thinking about how to be a part of an effective, peaceful, and loving movement.

I've also started Radical by David Platt but haven't gotten too far into it. My Mom and Dad both recommended books to me yesterday, so after I finish unPlanned I'll pick up Radical again, as well as the books they suggested and write a new post about all of them. :)

Happy Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!