A Wonderful Weekend...and Off the Bookshelf

We had a great weekend in Delaware! Behn had a conference in Philly for much of the week, so on Thursday evening, Emily and Seth drove up from NC and picked up Graham and I and we all trekked to Delaware. It was nice to have all day Friday to make the weekend a little longer. Graham got to spend time with his grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, and Shane the dog of course. The toddlers are so cute! It's so sweet to see them all interacting. Behn and I really enjoyed the family time, too. On Friday night I enjoyed some quality, much-needed girl time with some friends. Saturday was extra special as we celebrated my brother-in-law's recent success in being promoted to operator of a Chick-Fil-A. My, that was a great meal. It was a really fun day. We really enjoyed the time with Behn's parents and siblings. We miss everyone so much!

And on Sunday when we woke up exhausted (Graham did not sleep well...too much stimulation I think), it stunk to think about the weekend being over, goodbyes, and the long drive back. However, walking through the door of our home is always sweet. Graham was so happy to see his bed! We all slept well Sunday night. The flowers and trees are in full bloom. Spring is very much here!

I'm on another reading streak. Behn ordered me several books. I'm almost done with "Loving the Little Years" by Rachel Jankovic:

I like it because it has short, concise chapters. Perfect for a busy mom who may only have a few minutes at a time to sit down and read. It covers lots of topics, but truly offers great strategies for parenting, beginning with being aware of your own heart so that you can minister to your child's heart. It's made me really re-think the sort of words I want to use with my kids, especially as the get older. It's very gospel-focused and takes sin seriously. It's good stuff, folks.

And it's made me realize: We're in for it. Parenting is not a hobby. It's not easy. And even for the best parents, it doesn't come naturally. We have a lot of work to do here. And it starts with prayer. Prayer for wisdom and patience. Raising our kids is no small task to be taken lightly. And Behn and I haven't taken it lightly, but what I'm beginning to realize is that shaping Graham, teaching him to love Jesus, showing him how to love others- is something we have to purposefully work at. And I'm ready to gear up and do my best, and Behn is too! I'm already adjusting the way I've been talking to him, disciplining him. His little heart means so much to me.

Many more book reviews to come- I'm so into reading right now!

Comments

  1. had fun this past weekend too! and loved you and grahams company in the car too :)

    love ya sis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf