Reflections on a Tragedy

I usually just use this blog to record life events, usually happy ones. I sort of ignore (or internalize) any unhappiness in life. You all don't want to hear about that stuff anyway, right?

I don't want to put a damper on the joy of 3 healthy babies being born to our family in the past month. But this week, the danger of Seth's deployment became so much more real to our family, and I can't seem to shake it. And that's a good thing, because it would be wrong for me to be sad and scared for a minute and then pretend everything is ok. As long as Seth, and any troops, are in danger, I want to relentlessly pray against evil.

On Wednesday Emily told us there had been some action in the east and to pray. Later that day, we found out the horrible news that 3 soldiers in Seth's company had died. Emily was very upset, understandably, and all of the sudden it seemed to me, in my weak, doubting mind, like everything was out of control. There was a harrowing hour or so where we waited to hear who it was that had been lost. Emily said she believed Seth had been on base that day, fixing a truck. She was right- by God's merciful care, Seth was not on the mission where his comarades had been attacked. Any other day, he might have been with them...he's been on many, many dangerous missions similar to this one. It could have been him, but it wasn't. Although this was an immense relief to us all, my mind immediately goes to the families of those who died that day. The pain they must be going through is unimaginable. To get that knock on the door is their worst nightmare. The parents of each of those men must be devasted. One of them is leaving behind a wife and 6 children. My heart is also hurting for Seth. He was close to all those those men, he worked with them every day. The 693rd only has about 100 soldiers in it, and they have lost 4 already. Terrible statistics. I think I'm even more affected by all this because not only is Seth Behn's brother, but Emily is my sister,and I know she is suffering with Seth through this. Emily and Seth, though strong, both need our love and support more than ever. We all just want Seth back home.

Now my brother Isaac is also deployed. He left just last week. More prayers.

I believe that God is sovereign over these things, as terrible as they seem to us. The alternative is that He is not in control, and that would be even worse. And He "hears our sighs and counts our tears."

I find some comfort in this quote from Elizabeth Prentiss:

"But before I go, I want once more to tell you how good He is, how blessed it is to suffer with Him, how infinitely happy He has made me in the very hottest heat of the furnace. It will strengthen you in your trials...There is no wilderness so dreary but that His love can illuminate it, no desolation so desolate but that he can sweeten it. I know what I am saying. It is no delusion. I believe that the highest, purest happiness is known only to those who have learned Christ in sickrooms, in poverty, in racking suspense and anxiety, amid hardships, and at the open grave."

Here is the link to a news story about the three soldiers who were lost:

http://www.newzjunky.com/news/0114drum_deaths.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf