Let's Go

It has not rained in weeks and the garden needs water, so I tend to it with the hose. I know full well that in less than 2 weeks it will not be my garden anymore, and I hope the new home owners care for it as I do, but I also know that cannot because they did not toil and watch everything grow as I did.

..........

It's our last Saturday here, and it's crunch time. There is still much to be packed. I worked hard this week, bustling around with Sammy on my legs, undoing half of what I had packed until the boxes were sealed. Graham went to VBS, Patrick hung around the house, and I listened to an audiobook to help the time pass. Yesterday, instead of packing, I collapsed into bed for an afternoon nap as soon as Samuel was down for his nap. I'm tired, and eager to be in our new house.

............

We are north bound, moving near more family. We are sad to be leaving my parents, brother, and Grandma. I will miss dinners on the deck and swinging by Grandma's or Mom and Dad's house on a whim.  And yet, we feel ready to be closer to the kids cousins, and old, familiar territory. Perhaps on weekends there will be cousin playdates, sleepovers. Maybe Behn can mountain bike with his brothers, and I can sip wine with my sister and sisters-in-law, and have dinner with Behn's parents. We can hike trails that I ran in college, and have the boys take music lessons from old friends. However, we will still be close to an hour away from most of them, in our own little town in the country. I'm trying to keep my expectations low- difficult for a dreamer. Life is always harder than I imagine, and yet it is sweet. I'm different now than I was 6 years ago. So are the boys, and Behn. So, I look forward to new friendships and a loving church home and birthdays celebrated together. And I also know that each day, though a gift, is full of dishes and boys fighting and never feeling rested. The balance of optimism and realism needs to be sheltered in God's praise and gratitude to Him. All is grace.

...........

And so, I pack the boxes and smile at our memories. We will make new friends (and be intentional about this) and swim in our new community pool and give homeschooling a real try. We'll make a home of the new rental and maybe dream about buying a little farm next.

...........

Let's go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Off the Bookshelf

Patrick Wilford is Here!