Off The Bookshelf (Giant book dump)

Wow, I have not made an "off the bookshelf" post in a long time...probably because I've been too busy to blog. But I haven't been too busy to read, so here's a summary of books I've read in the past 9 months or so. Some of the summaries are short, since there are so many. Every book was great, and I recommend each of them!

1. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom



Fiction- Antebellum rural Virginia, immigrant orphan, slavery, drug addiction, bad marriages, freedom. Great story and characters. Need to read the sequel.

2. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance


Non-fiction. Memoir about growing up in the low-income/blue collar ruralish America, the importance of family connection, and a commentary on a number of social class and political issues. I found it super interesting, from a human services standpoint. Read in 3 days.

3. Raising Grateful Kids In An Entitled World by Kristen Welch


This book helped me in realizing how easy it is to raise entitled kids, and encouraged me to fight against that. Welch has a popular Christian blog (We Are That Family) and I've always reaped from her wisdom when I read her writing. She offers thoughts and strategies about how we combat entitlement with gratitude and service, offering practical suggestions and spiritual encouragement. Great parenting book.

4. Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham


Memoir. Funny. Actress. Gilmore Girls. Love her.

5. Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey


Well, it happened. We became Ramsey fans. Behn got this book out of the library, we both read it; we then proceeded to take Financial Peace University and are 100% on board and committed. We are grateful to finally have a plan, and proud of the progress we've made. If you're wandering financially through life, often worrying about money or wondering where it goes or buying things you can't afford...then you're like we were, and like most people. You're normal. But it's time to be weird, and read this book. That's my pitch.

6. The Lifegiving Home by Sally and Sarah Clarkson


Adored this cozy book about family culture, rhythms, and creating a haven home. Sally and her daughter Sarah co-wrote it, and while I loved both of their writing, I gravitated to Sarah's words. I underlined many sections of the book, and will be re-visiting it regularly. I long to create home environment that nourishes by people, serves the world, and fills loved ones up. This book is the perfect resource,

7. Different by Sally and Nathan Clarkson


This memoir-style book co-written by Sally and her son Nathan spoke to the family with an out-of-the-box child or family member. They spoke of their experience with Nathan's difficulties and triumphs with OCD, ADHD, and ODD. I felt the book was very real and encouraging, and Sally's wise words and actions to love her son just as God made him was inspiring. You may have a 'different' child...we may or may not have one...we all know one. This book is great for wisdom and perspective.

8. Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien



Ya'll probably know that Behn and I are huge Lord of the Rings nerds. We watch the trilogy every January...the soundtrack is on year-round...we quote it to each other...we have a map of Middle Earth on our wall. Yup, nerds. How have I never read these books? (Behn had). I absorbed Fellowship and am 75% through Two Towers. Great poetry, storylines, details, characters, adventures. Can't wait to read again with the boys in a few years.

9. At Home In The World by Tsh Oxenreider


Memoir about a family traveling the world in 9 months, with 3 kids. Absolute must-read. Great book for the homebody as well as those struck with wander lust (I'm both).

10. Notes From A Blue Bike by Tsh Oxenreider


A few weeks ago, I couldn't get the word 'intentional' out of my mind. I think because it's summer...I have to be intentional about these long days or we all waste away. Since I finished At Home In The World, I decided to read Tsh's book Notes From A Blue Bike, not realizing that the sub-title was "The art of living intentionally in a chaotic world." I enjoyed the book, as it helped me continue to think through how to be more strategic and intentional during these tiring times. This is our one life here on earth. I don't want to waste it.

(Side note- I listened to both of Oxenreider's books through Behn's audiobook company app. How have I never done this before?? I can listen to a book while I fold laundry? Yes, please.)

Whew! I think that's the summary...I might have missed a few. I also re-read Desperate by Sarah May and Sally Clarkson. I'm currently continuing the Lord of the Rings trilogy and about halfway through The Broken Way by Ann Voskamp. Oh, and on the One Click Digital app for audiobooks, I'm now listening to Last Child In The Woods by Richard Louv. I have a list of so many more to read...but please share what you've enjoyed lately!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Bookshelf

Job loss and bending the knee

Patrick Wilford is Here!