Kindergarten

It's mid-September and for the first time in days (weeks?) it is cloudy. Cloudy days, cooler air bring out the dreamer in me. I feel restless. One way I outlet that? Writing.

I just told Behn that I'm so lucky to have him. He's steady and solid while I'm always dreaming and scheming. The summer felt long and hot and tiring. There were lots of good times and trips and sweetness but the endless idleness and all the needs of young kids left me weary. Now the two big boys are back in school and I have time- not much, but a little- to breathe.

I have so much I want to record about the summer...how can I even catch up? I'll probably just do a big photo dump post. I better do it soon, before I forget it all. So easy for tired, busy mamas to forget. I don't want to forget the little things they said, tiny fingers, memories made. I kind of want to forget the long days, the tantrums, the nights we had cereal for dinner again. But it's all life, and it's all grace.

Now that I'm breathing a little easier, I do want to write about a certain boy.

We have a kindergartner.


Sending Graham to our local (small, award-winning) public school was a hard decision for us. It took many prayers, discussions, and a tour to get us here. Behn and I were privileged to either be homeschooled or go to Christian school all our lives, not without great sacrifice on our parents' part. We knew Christian school wasn't on the table financially and we also know Graham. Our smart, leader-son who thrives best with structure and much learning and activity. And so, we decided that for this year, for this child, we would try this.

The first couple weeks were rough. Transitions are hard. Separation after an entire summer of togetherness is hard. The teacher and staff were amazing and provided all the extra support he needed; they went above and beyond. And then, it all clicked. He jumps out of bed in the mornings and excitedly gets ready for school. I drop him off and pick him up. He tells me all about his day, his new friends, what he learned. He's a new kid; he seriously seems to have grown in just a month.

I'm not naive. I know it's only been a few weeks and that he will still have struggles. We will have conversations where we discuss worldview and how we might not agree with what school says or how something is handled. We are talking more than ever about God and His love and what that means in the day to day, inside and outside our home. Isn't that what parents are for? I love our strong bond with him.

Last night he confidently showed me all around his classroom. His desk, where his friends sit, all the work he's done so far. Teachers praised him. And my Mama heart swelled with pride because some days have been so very hard but this boy is such a gift and I can't WAIT to see where God leads him.


Comments

  1. Kurt and I are a similar pair. He's grounded, I am a dreamer as well. B starts school full time when we get back from vacation and I'm a bit worried to be alone for the first time.

    I'm glad Graham has been doing well so far! You've got an amazing little family, I can't believe how fast the boys are growing. I'm also glad you got a minute to breath ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this meg. And I can't believe our graham baby is in kindergarten. I remember so vividly when he was born. And I remember his first steps. How did he get so big?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf