Uncle Cholly Visits BV




About a year ago I made a short post on this blog about how much I miss the Philadelphia Sports teams. Since we've made the move down here to beautiful Virginia, the Flyers have reached the Stanley Cup final, and the Phillies have reached the World Series (again) and NLCS. Thanks to technology I can keep up with what is happening with my teams. I've gone to the bars a few times to watch games too. But today was different. Today, it was as if Philadelphia sports reciprocated my feelings and paid me a visit.




Two days ago my co-worker showed me the front page of the News Gazette. Charlie Manuel was to visit Buena Vista, his hometown, and was to be accompanied by former Eagle and NBC sportscaster Vai Sikahema. They were both to speak at Southern Virginia University on Friday, right in town. This was something that I simply couldn't miss. I texted almost everyone I knew of the news.




Today I made sure to bring my red Phillies tee to work, as well as some Charlie Manuel photos for autographing (one of them is of him holding the World Series trophy), and a digital camera. I had to take full advantage of the situation. I hopped in the car on my break, started to drive, and noticed a cameraman at one side of the street. I looked to my right and saw Charlie Manuel walking along the sidewalk outside the library, with Vai Sikahema as well as his brother and the mayor of Buena Vista. I pulled the car over, hopped out, and couldn't help but snap a few photos and introduce myself. I was greeted warmly by Vai's wife and Charlie's friend, Missy (I'm pretty sure it was her). I told them I was from the Philadelphia area, and before we parted ways (I actually followed them all the way to SVU for their speeches) Vai saluted me and gave me a fist bump.




I enjoyed hearing both men speak. I tracked them both down afterwards for some autographs and more photos. The Philadelphia comradery was evident even in this small town, as native Philadelphians and Phillies fans alike were present to hear Charlie speak about his long and successful baseball career. Surreal is the word that comes to mind when I think about all that happened today. Today, in Buena Vista, I met the manager of the Philadelphia Phillies. I shook his hand, awkwardly congratulated him on a successful season, and generally tried not to make an idiot of myself in front of him and Vai. Today was a good day.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf