Hey all, this is Behn. It's been a while since I've posted on here. The month of February has been a very busy one. Work in the Rockbridge Regional Library System has been busy of late. A book club for boys 8-12 has started in the Buena Vista Branch, which I now manage, and the headquarters in Lexington. The book group has been formed in order to encourage reading among boys, who statistically are behind girls when it comes to literacy and reading levels. The name of the group is Guys Read!, and was inspired by John Scieszka (author of The Stinky Cheese Man et all). The group has met twice so far, with three boys attending each time. I'm confident that it'll continue to grow. We also upgraded our system database yesterday, which has gone more smoothly than expected. Overall I enjoy working with my coworkers and serving the patrons. It has been a great experience so far, a new and exciting challenge.

A couple weeks ago Megan and I were able to drive up to Delaware (beating out the snowfall that moved up from the South and eventually dumped two feet on the tri-state area). We enjoyed spending time with my sister, Lydia, and James, and of course little Ruby (celebrated her birthday). Driving up there is hard, because I miss my home state. When I have to drive back to VA, it is the hardest. It's hard leaving my family behind, but I am really starting to get used to life in Rockbridge County, VA. It is a great community, and I actually feel like living in such a historic place is a privilege. Eventually I would like to become a member of the Rockbridge Historical Society (once we're more settled in).

We've enjoyed having visitors here. We're far from home but not too far (about 5 hours if you drive like me). Lexington, VA was recently mentioned in an article on Yahoo, as the 2nd "coolest" small town in America. You can read about it here.

I'm outta here. I plan on relaxing today, enjoying the olympics, and doing some house chores.
Until later,

BT

Comments

  1. Hello! I stumbled upon your blog this morning during my daily monitoring of Google. I wanted to mention that the Shell Truck Beauty Pageant will be held in Lexington on June 10-12. I am helping with certain aspects of the event, and one idea that I had was for local teachers and libraries to focus on truck-themed books to encouraging reading among boys, especially in the weeks prior to the event. This is a national event bringing hundreds of one-of-a-kind trucks to Lexington to compete. There will a truck parade down Main Street, screenings of truck movies at Hull's Drive-In, carnival rides, nightly concerts, tours of the truck interior, and more! Many of the young boys that I work with are very excited about the event, and I know that they'll be excited about the truck books that I have planned for them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf