One Town, Two Managers

(Two cents worth from Behn)

As you all know by now, I manage a library in Buena Vista. The Appalachian town is the home of Southern Virginia University, Franks for the Memories, and Uncle Charlie. Charlie Manuel graduated from Parry McCluer High School and was a dominant athlete: he played basketball, football, and baseball and received numerous scholarship offers from different colleges for different sports but ultimately chose to accept an offer to join the big leagues.

Anywho, this is the sign I pass every day on the way to work into BV. As the Phillies continue to do well in the playoffs I'm reminded of last year and how the City of Brotherly Love rallied around the team as it ended the Curse of Billy Penn. I miss that community and living so close to a sports town that I have cherished since I was a young boy. I spent countless nights and days in front of the TV with my dad, or brother, or brother-in-law watching this team and other Philadelphia clubs. I even listened to games on the radio when I didn't have a TV. Now I live 5 hours from the Philly market, but I'm encouraged by this sign. It reminds me who I root for and makes me feel a little closer to home. It's ironic...I'm now a manager in Charlie's town...and he's a manager in mine. And he's doing just fine.

Comments

  1. carol.trader@gmail.comOctober 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM

    I think you should edit this a bit, and consider submitting it to the local paper, Behn...I especially liked the ending...And I think Charlie would enjoy it...what do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on our blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Currently (what's up right now)

Patrick Wilford is Here!

Off the Bookshelf